Monday, December 5, 2011

Sudah Potong ? Have You Cut It??? Just Do It!



Well, don't you just love the above ads ? It's actually about cutting one's existing broadband/internet connection and migrating to P1 Wimax's supposedly superior network.

But the innuendos about CUT or POTONG as the actors and actresses were repeatingly utter over and over again in the ads are very very loud and clear.

If you are a Malay or a Muslim, or a Chinese/Indian living in Malaysia, the word POTONG could be very very scary. Particularly if you are of a MALE sex. Especially, if you are a schoolboy. And very very specifically, if you are a boy and you are in the midst of a long, long school holidays.

Here's some example. Utter the word POTONG to an eight year old boy who is just enjoying his school holidays, and you can see his face turn blue. And he would start to shake and sweat, and he would eventually plead and perhaps even tried to bribe his way out, to avoid that POTONG ceremony. Depending on how well you negotiate, you might even win yourself a lifetime slave, just so that the little helpless little boy could escape the dreaded POTONG thingy. Awww....so cute !


Heck. You can even try to mutter the word POTONG to a full, grown up MALE adult, and you could see how they trembled with fear, of a memory long, long forgotten. One that they wished that would never, never encounter again, ever! And in some extreme cases, you could swear that the men would bit his lips and cry a bit. Awwww...so cute!


Yup, I'm talking about CUT, or POTONG as in circumcision. You know, when the male surrendered his most precious body parts to a good, sharp knife, and hoped that he would live to tell the great adventure.


Yeah, yeah it was painful.

Yeah, yeah it was scary.

Yawn....Zzzzzzzz...

Bo-ring!

Oh yes, men are such softies when it comes to pain. They are soft inside, beneath their titanic exteriors. Inside their great lion-like exteriors, they are just soft, cuddly rabbits.

And I happen to have 4 rabbits in my household. (5, counting a great big rabbit disguised as a great big American Grizzly bear!..Geez I'm crossing my fingers that HE wouldn't read this haha).

A cute, cuddly wabbit... Pic from net

So it's school hols, and at the ripe age of EIGHT and SIX, my husband decided that his boys should be ushered (forced, more likely!) into manhood. You know, entering the big boys' club. And my boys are happy. About entering the brotherhood of men, that is. When I sweetly told them about the 'fees' that they had to pay in order to join the fraternity, they started to whine and plea and eventually, they cried.


Oh my soft, cuddly rabbits.


And then they bombarded me with questions.

What ? Why ? How ? How much to cut? When ? Is it painful? How painful ? Would we die? What if the doctor cuts it all? Again, how is it done? Must we do it ? But why ? Can I escape that ? Is it painful ? Did you do it, Mama, when you were a little girl ? Why the hell not ? It's not fair!!!! If you never do it, how do you know it is not painful ? Are you lying to us ?

Yata yata yata....


And then they keep on repeating the same questions over and over again.

Sigh.

At first,I answered their questions patiently. And I took my time to explain to them, in great details about why they need to do it. They got the part about why and the logic of doing 'it'.

It's the pain part that they couldn't understand.

And then when they keep on bombarding me with the same questions over and over again, and that's when I morphed.

I sweetly told them :-

Yep, it could be painful. But you would be given some shots and some medicine to ease the pain. And you would live to tell the tales to your children, and God help it, you would force your sons to go through the same horrific experience, just like your father are gleefully doing to you now.

How painful is it ? They pressed on.

And this is where I really morphed into a witch.

I told them of my own birth experience. Yup, all 4 deliveries.

Correction.

All 4 normal deliveries MINUS epidural or any painkillers to ease the pain.

And that, my friends, really shut them up.

Oh probably they are still traumatic of hearing such details, my poor darlings!



But here's the catch.

My boys managed to postpone the ritual, at least for this year, probably. The doctor said that both of them are too small to be ushered into the big boys' club, perhaps next year would be right!


Being a great, big rabbit myself, I couldn't be more relieved to hear such news!





Yippieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!




Me : An Fluffy, fuzzy Angora wabbiittttt

2 comments: